Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wishes

I was sitting at my desk yesterday at work being bored as usual. I noticed an eyelash on the desk.

I instinctively picked it up, set it on the tip of my index finger, closed my eyes, made a wish and blew it away.

Afterwards I thought about what I did. Why did I do that? I guess it is one of those things you start as a little girl and just never give up.

Like picking a dandelion that has gone to seed, closing your eyes, making a wish and blowing the seedlings away. Of course, then you open your eyes and watch where they all blow off to.

Or seeing the first star in the evening and saying the little poem and making a wish:
Star Light, Star Bright
First Star I've Seen Tonight
I Wish I May, I Wish I Might
Have This Wish I Wish Tonight

Seeing a shooting star and wishing on it.

Dropping a penny (or coin) in a wishing well or fountain.

And don't forget making a wish on your birthday as you blow out the candles.

Naturally you can not share any of these wishes or they won't come true.

Nothing much "haunted" about this except that it is something that I have to do. I can't not do it or I might have bad luck.

So, do you still wish on stars, dandelions, candles and/or eyelashes? Is there something else that you wish on? Did you pass these little wishes on to your children?

Stacy

3 comments:

Chris said...

We save the wishbone from baked chicken to make wishes. I also think of "Star Light, Star Bright" each night I walk at dusk, which is getting earlier & earlier - GRRR!

Jen said...

My family does the wish thing with birthday candles, but I doesn't routinely wish on stars or eyelashes. (As far as I know.)

However, this post did remind me of a quirky thing I have done since childhood - I ALWAYS avoid stepping on cracks in the sidewalk. Even if I have to shuffle my steps, I really try hard to not step on cracks!

mumof3boyz said...

@ Chris - It won't be too much longer and the days will start getting longer again.

@ Jen - That reminds me of my foot post. Did you read that one?

That also leads into another post I am preparing.