Sunday, October 25, 2009

Family Curse

I am 'haunted' by an old family curse. If you have been reading me for a while, this story is probably familiar to you.


For at least the last 4 generations on my mum's side the women have all been young widows.


1) My dad died from cancer when I was 18.

2) My grandfather died from a heart attack when my mum was 12.

3) My great-grandfather died from injuries in a car accident when my grandma was 13.

4) My great-great-grandfather died from pneumonia after fighting a fire when my great-grandma was 2 or 3.


Sometimes I think back on this and make myself sick with worry about it.

When my husband was in a terrible car accident a few years ago, and we didn't know his status, just that he was hit by a semi, I was sure that it was happening again. I think my mum was pretty sure of the same thing.

I used to dwell on it a lot, but not as much any more. I can't live my life worrying about something that may or may not ever happen. This doesn't mean that I don't still think about it from time to time, I just don't dwell on it anymore.

Does your family have a curse?

Stacy

3 comments:

BEK said...

Not sure if my family has a curse- but Matt is convinced when we do have a child it will be a girl who is as stubborn and bull headed as me.....

Glad your hubby is still around for many more years (decades) to come!!!

Chris said...

Wow. That's the stuff movies are made of. Sounds like you've overcome it by having all boys! :)

Nothing like that in my family, altho we are seeing a pattern of Aspergers Syndrome from my wife's side. More annoying than haunting.

Becca said...

None of that on our side, but I am sure that your husband is going to be around for a long long time!