Monday, October 19, 2009

Language

One thing that really bothers me is when people do not speak proper English.

I am not talking about immigrants who are learning the language, I understand them.

I am also not talking about most slang, I understand that also.

I am talking about people who were born and raised in the USA, graduated from High School and possibly college.

I probably should have been an English major in college.

Here are a few things that really 'haunt' me:

"We was going to the store" <---We were going....
"She aks for it" <----- She ask for it.
"Was you going to eat that" <-----Were you going.....

Sometimes it takes all my might to keep my mouth shut and not correct people. I think that when people talk like that and know better, it makes them look dumb.

What word or phrase that is mispronounced bugs you?

Stacy

8 comments:

Guinevere said...

Ain't. I HATE it. When people use it, it makes me think "redneck".

Chris said...

"Irregardless" and "axe" (as in "axe you a question").

Becca said...

Mitch uses the word "gitta" when he wants to get on my last nerve.

Dory said...

Calling the noon time meal "dinner" instead of "lunch". I never heard that until I moved here.... most everyone here calls it dinner. Sheesh. Drives me bonkers for some reaason!

Jen said...

"Nakkin" in place of napkin irritates me. :)

Anonymous said...

When people say Picksburg instead of Pittsburgh.

Mum

Unknown said...

"Nekkid" absolutely burns a hole in my stomach.. Ain't, and axe are bad.. nucular instead of nuclear.. there are several I could slap someone for using!!LOL

Unknown said...

In the South, they are "fixing" to do something! And who can forget liberry, as in library!