Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Names

As I am making dinner last night, Little S is in the diningroom playing school. He is pretending to be the teacher, giving assignments and grades, taking them to the library and gym, etc. I love listening to him play.

He does such a good job playing by himself also. TJ was not a good one to entertain himself, he always wanted someone to play with him. Little S on the other hand will play by himself for quite sometime and it can be very entertaining listening to him.

So as I am listening, I hear him say "Ick, go to the thinking chair!" I didn't think I heard him right so I just shook my head and moved on. Then he said it again and again.

I stopped him and asked him what he was saying. He indeed was calling one of his classmates Ick. When I asked him why, he said that is what he is called in school. His real name is Dominic, but everyone calls him Ick.

Why would you do that to your child? Aren't you supposed to love your child? Why would you, granted it is a nickname, call him something so negative?

I am haunted by what people think is okay to call their children. Really, what is wrong with parents to name them things like Adolph Hitler , Pilot Inspektor, Kyd, Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, etc.

The names that I listed are all real names that people gave their children. Go ahead and click the links, I'll wait.

Are you back? Are you in utter disbelief as I am?

What is the strangest name or nickname you have heard a child called? What do you think possess these people to do this?

Stacy

5 comments:

Jen said...

There is a little girl in our area named Spidey.
I think it is child abuse...

ShanaM said...

I am all for doing what you want with your kids and expressing yourself, but AdolfHitler is just going too far. Changing your OWN name to Adolf is one thing but to give it to a baby
Maybe parents want their 15 minutes of fame or want their kids to stand out in the crowd. Who knows?
I am not a big fan of Mary or John or naming kids after parents (ugh!). A name should be individual. A bit different but normal even to stand out just a bit.

Becca said...

All that I can say to parents who do stuff like that is ugh. No words.

The Beast Mom said...

That won't be a self-esteem builder of a name.

I don't know anyone personally who has given their kid a really horrible nickname. Thank goodness. :)

This is an interesting question/topic for a blog post!

-bm

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

I went to school with a Danny Denny, Richard Richards and I thought that was weird, although, I have a friend who is an RN, and some young girl giving birth thought placenta sounded like a pretty name... She stopped her, thank heavens