Friday, October 16, 2009

Good Luck / Bad Luck

Why do we have superstitions? Who started all of these weird little things? Why do we follow them to this day?


There are few that ‘haunt’ me in that I have to do them. And sadly I have passed a few on to my kids as well.

One is railroad tracks. I have to lift my feet when going over railroad tracks. If I don’t, I will have bad luck. I think my sister actually started me on this one.


I don’t care to walk under a ladder but that is mostly so nothing or no one will fall on me.

I try to be careful with mirrors because I certainly don't want 7 years of bad luck. Why 7?

The whole black cat thing doesn't bother me too much. I have had black cats in and out of my life for as long as I can remember. I even had two different black cats as a child (not at the same time) and they were both named Midnight. However, I used to know a girl that if a black cat ran in front of her car, she would stop and turn around. Crazy, huh?

Then there is the whole good luck penny.
Find a Penny, Pick it Up
All day long you'll have Good Luck.
Unless of course is it heads down. Then you flip it over and give the luck to the next person.


What are some superstitions that you have to adhere to in your life?

Stacy

3 comments:

Chris said...

The Force of the Penny is strong on me, but didn't know I shouldn't pick up the face-down ones. That might explain some questionable luck days.

I try to avoid cracks in the sidewalk, even tho my mom is gone. I also try to wear my favorite sports team's shirt for special games. But maybe I picked up 3 face down pennies this fall for my Cardinals. :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey!! It's been awhile.

Superstitions? I have two. I always put my shoes on left foot first and then right. The other is. unlike Chris, I NEVER wear sports gear of my favorite team because they lose every time.

Have a Great weekend!!

Becca said...

The only superstition that I have is on the number 13.