Monday, June 16, 2008

Weekend Away

I had a blast this weekend. There were six of us from our church that went together. We laughed the whole 2 1/2 hour ride there and back. Jump For Joy

The conference was held at the University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown. We stayed right in the dorm rooms. Let me tell you. Those rooms were NICE! If the rooms were that nice when I went to school I might have stayed in school longer. Winky 2

We stayed in a suite, which they did not have when I was in school. You walked in and there was a large living room WITH furniture. A nice size kitchen WITH a fridge and microwave. Believe me when I went to school, you brought your own furniture and small fridge and you were not allowed to have a microwave. The furniture I had was old beat up yard sale crap, the fridge hardly fit more than a few cans of soda, and i had to sneak in a tiny little microwave.

On to the bedrooms. You went down the hall and turned left. There were two separate bedrooms and a HUGE bathroom down that hall. You turned to the right and there was a double bedroom and another single plus another HUGE bathroom. There was also a large walk-in closet for them all to share. Where I went to school, we shared everything. The bathrooms were for a whole hallway of kids. I think there were maybe 5 stalls for all 10-15 double rooms.

Humph...I am really jealous of today's kids. But also at the same time so thankful that my kids will have better accommodations than I had.

OK - on to the conference. Our Keynote Speaker was Liz Curtis Higgs. She had a wonderful message. And she was hilarious to boot. I have not laughed and cried so much in such a long time. It was so refreshing. If you get a chance, hop over to her page and read a little about her. She has many books out. Her most famous series is the bad girls of the bible books. The best thing about her is she was bad. B. A. D. bad. She was promiscuous and was caught up in drugs.
She even worked with Howard Stern at one point in her career. In fact she was so bad that at one point Howard Stern came into her office and told her that she needed to pull herself together. Can you imagine? Wow!

She spoke about 3 bad girls of the bible: Sarah, Hagar and Leah. I learned so much in the 3 seperate hour sessions that she talked. When we went back to our room Friday night we did the bible study that was provided and learned even more.

I am so looking forward to next year. I not only learned more about God and his people, but about my fellow church ladies. Many things that I didn't know and may not have learned had I not spent the time I did with them.

I am so thankful and feel so blessed for this retreat.

Stacy

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am so glad you had fun! It sounds like it was a blast!
I went to a little women's retreat this past weekend with some gals from my church too... the topic was "Life's Little Blessings."
I hope your husband had a nice Father's Day - I thought of him a lot that day.

Dory said...

Sounds like you had a blast! I just have one question... how were the bathrooms? And yes... you KNOW why I'm asking! lol ;o)

White Hot Magik said...

I have been wanting to read those books. Now I will make more of a point of it.

Dory is funny, I remember that quirk of yours too.