Thursday, January 7, 2010

Buying a House

Monday night when I was up all night I was watching either House Hunters or Property Virgins or something like that.

It featured this young couple with a small child. They were approved for some astronomical amount of money somewhere around $450,000.00 But they decided that they could only afford about $300,000.00

At first I am thinking about how smart they are not to go that far into debt and how responsible they are being. Then she opened her mouth and said the reason was that they "have" to spend about $1700.00/month on their Nanny and Daycare.

HELLO!?!?! I wanted to go through the screen and say "You know there are many people that raise their own kids without a nanny." I can understand the Daycare. I even understand an occasional evening sitter so that you can go out as a couple. What I don't understand is how you "HAVE" to have a Nanny.

And to top it all off, she was disappointed that she could only afford a 2 bedroom bungalow for $349,000.00 Poor, poor thing.

I just don't get it. You either sacrifice the "dream house" you are whining about or start taking care of your own child.

Am I being too harsh here? Can anyone else justify her behavior?

Stacy

5 comments:

Becca said...

No you are not being harsh. We saw that one, too, and I cringed. We know what we can afford and what we can't. We are looking to spend no more per month than we are paying for rent, but it will be ours.

Vonnie said...

Wow. I agree with you Stacy. People have different prioritys I guess. Wow.

meg said...

I've never understood the need for a nanny unless you are the Queen of England or have multiples (3+ babies & only 2 hands doesn't work too well); I always thought the point of having children was to raise them yourself, not to hire out the job & become the Supervisor :-P

Anonymous said...

I want to know how all these young couples with children can afford these houses that cost so much and have a mortgage payment of several thousand. AND I agree with you.

Mom

Crystal said...

Oh I am with you! I don't get it! We own our own home (but we live in the midwest where we can afford to buy a house), but we don't live in a huge, expensive house either and we certainly never had a nanny!

We spent what we could afford based on one income so if one of us lost (or needed to quit) our job we could still afford the mortgage and everything else.

I am constantly amazed what people think they "HAVE" to have. :)