Sunday, September 26, 2010

Big Black Cloud

We went to the orthopedic doctor on Monday and Little S was released to go back to playing gym and recess and soccer. He was so excited. The doctor assured me that unless a big black cloud was hanging over us the elbow would be fine and he would see us in 3 weeks for a final x-ray.

Tuesday at recess he was finally free and could run and play with the other kids. I mean he has been in school for almost a month and this was the first that he was allowed to play with his friends. This is a HUGE deal for a 1st grader.

He was also so excited about returning to soccer practice that evening he work his soccer shirt to school. So did several of the other kids in soccer. This turned out to be a big mistake.

See as Little S stopped for a few minutes and was standing still talking to one of his little friends another kids came up behind him full force and shoved him into a wall. He had mistaken Little S for another child he was mad. He realized his mistake a little too late.

The school called me to let me know what had happened and they assured me that Little S was more shook up about what had happened than anything and that physically he was fine.

I called the orthopedic doctor and asked what they thought as he hit the wall pretty hard and it was his left side, the one that was almost healed now. They told me that it was their early day and if I could bring him right in they could see him otherwise to bring him in the next day. There was no way that I could make it from work to the school and to the doctor before they closed and since the school wasn't too concerned I left it at that.

When I got home from work and saw Little S and his huge swollen purple thumb I knew that it was broken. Sure enough the next morning I took him back to the doctor and thanked him for the 'huge black cloud' comment after it was determined that it was indeed broken.

So we are back to square one. No gym, no recess and no soccer. He is pretty disappointed to say the least. But he is a trooper and will be fine in a few months.

As far as the other kid, he had to write a letter of apology to Little S as well as apologize in person and he is on recess restriction for 2 weeks, meaning he is allowed out but has to be with a teacher at all times. It doesn't seem like much of a punishment in comparison, but the child is only 6 and I can only imagine what his home life is like to have that much anger built up at that age.

Stacy

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh poor Little S! :( This gave my heart a little squeeze... I am so sorry he was re-injured.
Praying for a quick recovery so his activities can resume!

Crystal said...

Oh my. Thinking about you all and hope Little S feels better soon! How hard not to be able to play with your friends when you are that age!

Chris said...

Poor guy! Hope he heals as quickly as he did from the elbow break.
And if the doctor mentioned anything about things coming in 3s I'd probably find a new practice...

BEK said...

Oh my goodness!!! Poor guy! That's it I am investing in bubble wrap for my child.....oh you mean that doesn't work either?!??!?! You mean you have to let them play and pick up the pieces and kiss booboos and not kick the butt of the children or parents that hurt my kid......this motherhood thing is going to be very interesting....:) You are an awesome mom- love your stories of caring for your kids. Hope Little S is free of injuries for the rest of the school year!