Friday, February 26, 2010

Hubby's Away - Part 4 (Final)

Tuesday wasn't a bad day. We all got up, went to school and work and set out on our almost last day alone. It was actually the only day that I got to relax a bit.

After work/school we grabbed a pizza, straightened up a bit and just chilled.

Then hubby called from Florida. He wanted to tell me that the elementary school was on fire. I thought he was messing around as I didn't hear the fire alarm or any trucks fly past. He said he wasn't sure, his friend got a text saying it was on fire and they all wanted me to go down and check it out.

I was already in my jammies (it was a little after 8pm) but since we live less than 2 miles from the school I got dressed and went down. Really I just pulled sweats on and zipped up my coat.

Sure enough when I got there, there were firetrucks, police and ambulances everywhere. There was some sort of tournament going on at the gym so people were being evacuated and the ambulances were precautionary.

As I was pulling back in to the apartments, I started getting texts from others telling me the school was on fire. It was so funny hearing their reactions when I told them that I already heard about it from hubby. They couldn't figure out how he knew in Florida before most of us who live right here found out.

Thursdays headlines verified what we did not in our little town even think was possible - it was intentionally set. Who on earth sets an elementary school on fire?

Our K-3 is in one building and our 4-6 is in another building but they are connected by an enclosed walkway. So there was no school for both buildings Wednesday and Thursday. Friday the 4-6 building went back to school. However it may be awhile before the K-3 goes back. I guess there wasn't a lot of actual fire damage, it was more smoke and water damage. They have more cleaning up than they had first thought as the halls and classrooms are carpeted as well as some of the walls have a cloth like finish to them.

So after all of the long weekend had held for me I was so ready for hubby to come home.

Thankfully Wednesday was a quiet day, they got in a sometime between 7 pm and 8 pm (I was at a meeting) and I was so glad to see them when I got here.

Soon I'll share some pics and a few funny stories! Enough with the drama.



Crystal said...

Oh my goodness! Glad things have quieted down for you guys!

Becca said...

Oh my.

I never know what goes through anyone's minds when they do stuff like that.

Chris said...

A fire, too? Are you sure you don't live in some TV drama? :)

Who sets fire at an elementary school? I hope they find the idiot(s) and throw the book at 'em!